Safety Plan for Staying

You will know what is safest for you and your children. If you feel that you are not ready to leave your relationship, trust your instincts. We are still there to support you.

Here are some things that could make that choice a safer one for you and your children:

  • Make a list of any emergency numbers you may need - Police; Aviva; doctor; lawyer; schools; friends and whanau/family. Keep these with you. In an emergency always call 111
  • If possible, get a cell phone and keep this with you. WINZ may be able to help you get a phone. Even a pre-pay cell phone with no money on it can be used to call Emergency 111.
  • If it's safe, apply for a Protection Order. See your lawyer or talk to us about how to do that
  • Develop a plan for yourself and the children about what to do if violence happens at home, or when you are out. Role play and practice the plan so you remember what to do.
  • Let your friends and neighbours know that you have fears for your safety. Ask them to watch out and to call the Police if they hear anything unusual or concerning. You could set up a code that will tell the neighbours you are in trouble e.g. ringing, hanging up, and then ringing again.
  • Tell the person abusing you, your friends and whanau/family that you are not going to put up with violence.
  • Get your own house and car keys.
  • Open your own bank account and try to save some money.
  • If you have no money, talk to WINZ or to Aviva about how you might get a benefit
  • Photocopy personal documents and keep them with you.

Our staff can support you with everything that is listed here and also with contacting other agencies or services.