Aviva (formerly Christchurch Women's Refuge) can support women in gaining protection orders, accessing financial support, linking to Housing NZ, referrals to support networks, and practical assistance. We offer Ministry of Justice approved group and individual 10-week education programmes on domestic violence that support you in making the changes that you identify as something you want.
We also have specific services for children which include advocacy, education, safety planning and practical support.
Our community services are free and are available to all women and children who meet our criteria; you do not need to enter a Safe House or to have left your relationship to access our services. We generally meet clients in our Community Offices but can be flexible and meet you elsewhere, as long as it is safe. We provide short and long term support in the community depending on what your needs are.
Read personal stories of change from women that have overcome family violence with the support of our Women's Services.
Find out more about Women's Services here
What can you expect?
- To hear from us within 24 hours of your request, except over the weekend where you may not be contacted until the next working day. If you don't hear from us, we may have called, but we don't leave messages until we check with you that it is safe to do so.
- High quality support and intervention; being told your rights; receiving a clear explanation of what we do.
- To receive information on safety planning and support networks, and quality advocacy to other services.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to leave my relationship to access support?
- No. You can still be in your relationship while working with us.
- How often do we meet?
- This is negotiated between you and the worker. We are flexible and will always consult with you about the support you want and its frequency.
If you are interested in learning more about accessing our services for yourself or your family please call our 0800 line. If you are an external agency wanting to refer a client you can find our referral forms here.