Become a Volunteer
Each year, Aviva (formerly Christchurch Women's Refuge) supports literally hundreds of families and individuals to become safer. Volunteers help us undertake this important work by:
- Assisting with tasks that are vital to support the agency functions
- Becoming our advocates regarding the promotion of safety and non-violence for all women and children
- Raising awareness of issues involving discrimination towards women in society
- Taking part in various fundraising or profile raising events and activities
We only recruit volunteers to assist our work in non client-related ways - this means that you would not work directly with clients but would assist the agency with other tasks that are essential to our work e.g. helping with administrative tasks; collecting in-kind donations; picking children up from and returning them to school so that they can attend education groups in our offices; helping at events etc.
Volunteering can give you a sense of community and belonging and, even if it is a small task, you know that are genuinely helping the agency in some way to support women and children.
If you are:
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Living a life free of violence now and for the last three years
SASSC Support Line Volunteers
The Sexual Assault Support Service Canterbury (SASSC) service hosted by Aviva and delivered in partnership with START is currently looking to recruit more volunteers.
SASSC is a confidential and professional sexual assault service offering support to women and men following recent or historic sexual violence or abuse. Volunteers provide initial phone support; help people process what has happened to them; contact family/friends; and support people during medical examinations, at the Police station or in court.
Full training is provided, following which volunteers are given a buddy (an experienced volunteer) to accompany them on their first few call outs, or more if needed. If you’re interested in finding out more about being a SASSC volunteer, please email SASSCadmin@avivafamilies.org.nz or call 0800 AVIVA NOW.