Safety Plan for Leaving
You will know what is safest for you and your children. If you feel that you are ready to leave your relationship, here are some things that other women have told us have helped to them keep safe.
- If it's safe, get together a bag that you can leave in advance with a friend or whanau/family member, including:
- Copy of Protection or Parenting Orders
- Medicine for you and your children
- Copies of Birth certificates for you and your children
- Passports for you and your children
- Children's favourite toys
- Spare cash, ATM card and money for taxi/bus if needed
- Driver’s license
- Copies of bank details
- Any other important documents e.g. insurance, residency
- Important phone numbers
- Your loved and treasured items like photos or jewellery
- Make a list of any emergency numbers you may need - Police; Aviva; doctor; lawyer; schools; friends and whanau/family. Keep these with you. In an emergency always call 111
- If possible, get a cell phone and keep this with you. WINZ may be able to help you get a phone. Even a pre-pay cell phone with no money on it can be used to call Emergency 111.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, let your friends and neighbours know that you have fears for your safety. Ask them to watch out and to call the Police if they hear anything unusual or concerning. You could set up a code that will tell the neighbours you are in trouble e.g. ringing, hanging up, and then ringing again.
- You can contact Aviva through the Police.
- If you do not want the person abusing you to know you have rung us, just pick up the phone and push any number afterwards and then they will not be able to use Redial.
- Get your own house and car keys.
- Organise somewhere to go straight away (e.g. a friend’s house, or a Safe House). Aviva staff can support you to identify and access a safe place for you.
- Organise a place to stay for a while (e.g. a Safe House, a friend's place, another house/flat). If you need to move to another city or country, we can help you organise this.
Our staff can support you with everything that is listed here and also with contacting other agencies or services.
The most important thing is for you and your children to get out safely. If the time is right to leave, just leave. It doesn't matter if you haven't made a plan, or got your things with you. We will support you in whatever way we can.